Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Commuter

There was a time, before the Nishiki, when Greg had an aluminum bike that was too big for him.  I wasn't ridding my Raleigh, so he stole it from me.  That wasn't a big deal to me at the time because I was out of shape and didn't want to ride the thing anyway.  Still, one must have a bike just incase, so we picked up a 1984 Club Fuji for me.  I never rode the Fuji either because it had down tube friction shifters and wasn't pretty.  Some crazy person at one point had wrapped all the cable housing in electrical tape, which became all sticky and gross looking.

In the end, Greg got his Nishiki and I went back to the Raleigh and the Fuji was looking like just a waste of money...until BTE.  Now all I can think about are bikes.  If my advisor ever found this site and saw how much time I was spending on this new passion...eh he probably wouldn't care too much.

Now that I'm crazy into cycling, I need two bikes, one for races and weekend rides (the Thoroughbred) and another for hauling things to and from work and shopping (the Clydesdale).  Enter the neglected Fuji.  We picked up some sora components on ebay, new cables and housing, awesome yellow handlebar tape, a pannier, and here she is.

My first grocery run on the Fuji.  Chicken breasts, cereal, milk, pasta, tomatoes, garlic, onion, and mushrooms
Are four bikes a bit excessive for two people? Maybe, but I think we're making some really positive lifestyle changes.  And we are thinking very seriously about selling the CR-V and going back to being a one car family.  Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. If you do decide to part with it, please convince Robert that he needs to buy the CR-V. I drove his car last week and it's more of a piece of crap than ever.

    ReplyDelete